Monday, February 6, 2012

The Older Two

Where did January go? I think I went to the park and blinked and now it's February!

Anna girl is LOVING 4th grade. She is on Team Quest and her group qualified for the next level. Here they are all dressed up for their Medieval day. Team Quest is a day where they go and do lots of challenges (math, art, construction, music, etc.).
These four have now qualified for state!


Here they are with their treasure box and dragon that they created.


David now has his "castle" bed! Hopefully, this is going to give him some floor space for his trains and racetrack without his little helper... (Little sister is learning some boundaries.)

The first night became a slumber party with his big sis. They were so excited!


Other news...In August it seemed as if David's brain went into learning mode. He suddenly became very interested in learning everything...numbers, letters, shapes, reading books... So, I knew that my cousin had used a book to teach her older two boys to read. I ordered it and we have been slowly going through it. I haven't kept super consistent, but David and I now have set up a little chart and some rules so that we get it done every day. The book is "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". We are on Lesson 30 and he is reading sentences such as today... An ant can eat a seed. That seed is in the mud. OK, so those sentences seem like nonsense. So, let me explain a little bit. The book is laid out in simple lessons that build on each other. It is all based on learning sounds and connecting them. The lessons are scripted with what the parent says to the child and you take them through step by step. By lesson 30 David practices several sounds and then reads several words. Then there are these simple sentences to read. After he reads the sentences, there are a couple comprehension questions. Then we look at a picture that goes with the sentences with some more questions. The last part of the lesson is learning to write the sounds/letters. So, I'm sharing all of this because I know that my cousins boys are flourishing in their reading at 3rd/1st grade. And David is sounding out words and reading sentences. It is coming slowing and methodically, but he is learning! (He is 4 1/2 by the way.) I like the book because it is VERY simple and goes step by step. It doesn't take very long to snuggle on the couch for a lesson. And I'm seeing HUGE reward. So, I just wanted to pass this along to anyone out there that might like to try it. I also think it could help children who are struggling to read. Why not start over with a different technique? See if it works? Every sound and sentence are printed with a dot and arrow under them. The child is to touch the dot and move along the arrow as they read. I'm thinking this could really help with directional issues. Anyway...there it is...a little commercial for something that is working for us. By lesson 100...it says that David will be reading at a 2nd grade level. Only time will tell...

No comments: