Friday, August 14, 2009

Umm...

Well, it's been so long I don't know if anyone even checks this anymore, but we really have had a great summer. I LOVE the cooler weather!!!! I know some people love the hot days, but I could take this summer every year!

We just got back from a mini-vacation...really you can't even call it that. Let's call it a getaway before school starts. Next year, VACATION will be on the calendar well in advance! So, we ventured up to Starved Rock State Park. Neither one of us had been there so it was fun exploring a new place that is not so far away. Erik and I both like to camp, but one night in Turkey Run with the little guy earlier this summer was enough camping with Davey boy for awhile! Between the fire pit, the road, and being the last one awake in the whole camp ground...yeah, we decided not to camp. We stayed in a "condo" in a private campground close to the state park. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living area, and a kitchen. (If anyone wants to know, I would recommend this place if you just want a nice place to stay and then go see the state parks. But the campground was not that great. Our little condo was surrounded by gravel and the whole thing is right off the interstate. They did have a pool which was fun for Anna during David's naptime.) It was perfect for us because David and Anna got good sleep and no one fell into a fire or ran out into the road:)

We took several short hikes at Starved Rock. Once again, not really for little hikers. There is NO WAY I would have taken David on these trails without him being in a backpack. But he enjoyed the ride on Daddy's back.

The best find of the area was a trail in Mathiessen State Park. It is just down the road from Starved Rock. We got to go down into a canyon and hike next to a stream. Anna LOVED it! Just the right amount of rock jumping for her tastes! Now, we are back home and looking ahead to school starting---Anna will be in 2nd grade! By the way, Erik and I survived (we really had a good time) band camp and the kiddos enjoyed their time with grandparents. So here are some pics from our little trip...


Our "home" for a couple of days...
"Rock Climbers"
Snuggle time with Daddy...David has decided to never look or smile at the camera.
Here's a couple shots from Starved Rock...

Here's a few pics from the trail in Mathiessen (sp?) Park...we really enjoyed it. We only hiked half of it. We'd like to go back and do the second half.
This was the trail...a few were BIG steps or jumps for Anna. Quite exciting for her!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Dave and I prefer Matthieson over Starved rock. It's a lot less commercialized and more natural. It's so beautiful isn't it? Reading about it makes me want to go back. :-)

The Timothy's said...

ok so you have know sold me I want to go there. next summer of course since this big preggo woman would not do good there right now. haha. And yes I do always read your blog I always look forward to seeing what you have to say. on another note I have just been thinking today and I wanted to say thank you Sally for the awsome friend you are to me. I love you and cherish your advise and outlook on life. I always know it will be christ centered. thank you.