Monday, August 1, 2011

Four Weeks

Lydia has been in our arms four weeks. Hmmm...what to say...Truthfully, this has gone through my mind the past couple of days. The honeymoon is over. HA!HA! That is not to say that there is not lots of laughter and smiles, but hey as we get to know one another, we are becoming a family. She's two you know. Yes, she's a doll! A beautiful sweetheart who gives smiles, kisses, laughter, babbles, pops out English words, communicates easily, whines, doesn't want her brother to touch her toys, wants her sister to be at her beck and call, is getting pickier with her food choices, and LOVES our bed. Yep, she has decided that sleeping all night in her crib is not to her liking. YIKES! We are not the "family" bed family. So, we have some decisions to make. Right now the cutie pie is sleeping soundly in her Mama and Daddy's bed. Hmmm...she is tiny, but wow-she takes up a lot of space! We'll figure it out. Last night, I kept praying for God's wisdom and grace. His wisdom to do what is best for her little heart. Does she really need to be between us to feel safe and secure or is she two and just wants her little way? The grace to sleep hanging onto the side of the bed or buy a king size bed! I think that was muttered in the middle of the night last night. Well, I know it was muttered! Anyway, it is hard to believe that it has only been four short weeks since we first met face to face.

Four weeks could be summed up by the word...backwards. Yep, lots of things slipping backward. She has almost stopped using the potty. She has stopped communicating that need and just goes in her pull-up. Besides not wanting to sleep in her crib, she has decided that not every bite of food is a wonderful choice. She has picked food out of her mouth and handed it back to me if she decides she doesn't like it! Even though I see it as going backwards, I don't think of it as negative. She isn't worked up about the potty or food. And isn't it a good thing she finds comfort between her Mama and Daddy? I think so. We continue to enjoy day by day watching her grow into such a sweetie.

Rewind to last week...For her third week home, we headed off to marching band camp. Now, you might say that is crazy. I doubted myself several times for taking her to a new place without her siblings, but she did just great. Anna had some time by herself with Papa and Grandma. David had some time to chill and play at Grandma Stone's. They both had a wonderful week! Although, leaving them so many days in July has definitely taken a toll on all of us.

Back to band camp. Lydia was adored by all of the band students who were very respectful of us asking them to give her some space. We had asked them not to get in her face or try to pick her up. By the end of the week, she was screeching "bye" or "hi" and waving at all the smiling faces. She also now loves her shoes and does not want to take them off. She discovered that she could walk in grass and even was brave enough to explore a little ways from my side. It is such a privilege to discover God's creation with her.

One evening when we were out at the band field, she decided it was time to venture a little further from my side. She would take a few steps and then turn back to see me. She would come running back. Then she would take a few steps and go a little further. Each time she would turn and come running back. After about 5 or 6 trips, she decided it was OK to wander. She didn't go very far, but she did discover that I was not going to disappear. It warms my heart to watch her grow more comfortable each day. Here she is in her chariot for the week.


Here we are with two of our "daughters". These are two of my color guard ladies! :)


And this is how we all felt by the end of camp...and several days afterward...

More details: You can stop reading if you want. This post is not too anything except details that I don't want to forget. My creativity may return when I am not hanging onto the side of the bed trying to get some rest. (Seriously, it's not so bad to snuggle with this sweetie!) Anyway, we also had Lydia's first doctor's appointment. Thankfully, she shows no signs (like swollen organs) of malnutrition. The only concern is that she is so teeny tiny. But when we picked her up she weighed 15 pounds. Yes, 15 pounds. In just three weeks, she is up to 16.5 pounds. I am sure she gained another pound at band camp. I wish I would have measured her little thighs, ankles, and arms to see the tremendous growth. I keep praying that God would touch each cell in her body and cause them to grow strong and healthy. She is also much stronger and steadier on her legs. She's got to keep up with David you know! :)

2 comments:

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Time sure does go by fast. You have a wonderful attitude regarding the backward steps you are experiencing. Continue to take it one day at at time. God will give you wisdom in those times of decision making. How old is Lydia? Alesha, was almost 15 months when we brought her home and weighed 14 pounds. She is now almost 2 1/2 and weighs 21 pounds. She is a picky eater and is more of a grazer....so unlike my boys. She is so busy that I think any calories she gets is burned off by the end of the day. I think we will just have sweet little petite girls :-)

April :-)

Unknown said...

Love hearing all the fun stories!