Monday, February 11, 2008

Crying at Bedtime

How much crying is acceptable? When do you pick up a crying infant and when do you just "let them cry it out"? Hasn't every parent stood outside their child's door wanting to go in, but held back by the notion that he has to learn to go to sleep on his own? As I write this my little guy is crying it out! I have to watch the clock otherwise 3 minutes can seem like 45. Why aren't babies programmed to snuggle into their beds, shut their eyes, and drift off to sleepy-town? Why are parents programmed to rush in and intervene in all areas of their little lives? Would we want it any other way? NO! That's the awesome thing about being a parent. That compassion and love that run so deep we would become as a "mother bear" to protect our child and keep him safe. AHHH--mine just made it to happy sleepy time! I know he'll be all smiles in the morning! Today, I had the pleasure of babysitting one of the 2 1/2 year old boys that I watch. Nap time struggles? I think not! He went in, laid down, turned his head to the side, shut his eyes, and did not make a sound until I got him up! Enough on sleep and little ones! I just pray that I am blessed with uniterrupted sleep tonight! Goodnight! (OK--goodnight in a couple of hours!)

By the way, the pictures above are what I usually find when Davey boy is suppose to be going to sleep! These were taken when he was almost 5 months!


3 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your blog site with me! Looking forward to keeping up with you in the blogging world. :-)

Jody said...

Well, I knew you would be great at this blogging thing. I love it. Your pictures are adorable too. By the way, you were absolutely correct by choosing Sam, Seth and Me on my guessing game post. I have yet to get a picture of Justin as a baby to add to our guessing game.

Chad and Alison said...

Sally, I just read your entire page. These sites really are a great tool to keep people caught up with one another.

You'll soon find that ours doesn't change too often, but I'm working on becoming more consistent with updates. Hope you all are doing well.